Caribou

Post your reviews or discuss Elton's entire catalogue
Please, only album discussion in this forum
Nikita2117
Hello, baby hello...

25 Nov 2003, 02:05 #1

It's been a while since we've had something new to talk about. I don't really know how to start...I still consider myself pretty new to this forum, but I'd love to here opinions on Caribou. It's one of my favs. I drive a lot (way too much) and there is nothing, in my opinion, better to listen to on the road. It's definately a feel-good album!
Last edited by Nikita2117 on 13 Jun 2012, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

dixielily.e
Hello, baby hello...

25 Nov 2003, 05:41 #2

Caribou has some great songs on it, but it's not a great album over all. That being said, it is a very good album. It's also a quirky album in some respects. Aside from the two well-known songs, "The Bitch Is Back" and "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," I adore the tenderness of "Pinky", the drama of "Ticking," the rhythmic drive of "You're So Static," and the humor and bouncy melody of "Solar Prestige A Gammon." I haven't yet been completely won over by "Grimsby," "I've Seen the Saucers," or "Stinker."

I think what I love about some of these songs more than anything is Elton's vocals. His voice is so young and innocent sounding - especially on "Pinky." I love Elton's mature voice of today, but there's a lot to be said for Elton's voice in the '70s.

dixielily.e
Hello, baby hello...

25 Nov 2003, 06:01 #3

Well, duh! Guess what song I left out of my review of Caribou? Yep, you guessed it - "Dixie Lily." Image

Before posting, I looked in Liz's book to refresh my memory about all the songs on the album, and "Dixie Lily" wasn't listed, so I just temporarily forgot about it. (Hey, Liz! Contact your publisher. There's a little boo boo that needs correcting.)

Anyway, I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about that song. It's a feel-good number that makes me bounce right out of my seat. Love it, love it, love it!

By the way, I love the remastered CD for the bonus songs. "Sick City" and "Cold Highway" are wonderful. And, of course, at this time of year, nothing could be better than "Step into Christmas."

Nikita2117
Hello, baby hello...

26 Nov 2003, 18:53 #4

I couln't agree more with you except that "grimsby" and "I've seen the saucers" are a couple of my favorites. (My boyfriend and I have decided that we need a dog named grimsby. I think its appropriate.) Anyawys... I love the song just simply for the silliness of it. In fact, I think thats largly the reason I love the album so much. It definitely differs from the earlier albums and reveals a playful side of Elton. "I've seen the saucers" is great...I don't know why I like it so much though. That was just one of those songs that's just cool.

dixielily.e
Hello, baby hello...

26 Nov 2003, 23:42 #5

Grimsby would make a great name for a dog.

Don't despair about my attitude towards "Grimsby" and "I've Seen the Saucers." I frequently wind up being totally obsessed with songs that I once didn't care for at all. For example, I love, love, love "Danny Bailey" from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but it took a couple of years for that to happen. On a more extreme note, I once completely disregarded the Captain Fantastic album. Well, guess which album is my favorite now among all of Elton's albums? You guessed it! Some of Elton's output just requires a bit of musical growth on the part of his listeners.

CapFantastic47
Hello, baby hello...

30 Nov 2003, 05:55 #6

I love Caribou. I just listened to this a few days ago. It's a really strong album. One of Elton's best. My favorite songs on it are. Don't Let the Sun, Ticking, Pinky and Grimsby.Baby's Got Blue Eyes. Like a deep blue sea on a blue blue day. I love Blue Eyes.
Baby's Got Blue Eyes. Like a deep blue sea on a blue blue day. I love Blue Eyes.

Nikita2117
Hello, baby hello...

02 Dec 2003, 16:33 #7

Yeah, I know what you mean about getting used to songs and albums. My boyfriend takes forever to warm up to a song. (Ok funny story about Caribou... I loved the alnum the first time around and listened to it for like two weeks straight. Since I loved it so much he let me have his copy which was already in my possesion (bc I had barrowed it) Anyways... shortly after he had given it to me he wanted it back. (He had suddenly grown to love it as much as meImage ) I can proudly say that I stood firm and I still have the album in my possesion and he has the burned copy.Image )
Of course I too have had to warm up to songs and dixie Danny Bailey is one of the first that pop in my head. But after watching the Yellow Brick Road DVD I grew a new appreciation for it.

AngelBearali
Hello, baby hello...

07 Dec 2003, 06:19 #8

Does anyone know what Solar Prestige A Gammon is all about?

Hercules
Hello, baby hello...

09 Dec 2003, 05:52 #9

don't be so sure that BERNIE knows what it's about, let alone the fans!! Image

15 Dec 2003, 06:06 #10

with the exception of "I've Seen The Saucers". My favorite tracks are: "Ticking", I often find myself singing along with this song, more than others; "Dont Let The Sun", so much better than the George Michael/E.J. duet; "Dixie Lilly"; "Pinky", am always thrilled when I hear that short piano intro; and "You're So Static"