Elton John self titled album by Elton John

Post your reviews or discuss Elton's entire catalogue
Please, only album discussion in this forum
regfan40
Hello, baby hello...

01 Dec 2001, 01:37 #1

Well, what do my fellow Eltonites say about this work?
What's your favorite track?
What do you think of the cover art?
:) ...hanging paper angels, painting little devils on the roof EJ/BT 2001
...If everything's been said I'm heading back to bed and Darling turn the lights out when you leave...EJ BT 2004

Sugarbear27
Hello, baby hello...

02 Dec 2001, 18:52 #2

I love the Elton John album and the cover is perfect for the album's feel, it doesn't give the album away. It is dark with only his profile showing and that gives mystery to songs like The Greatest Discovery, Your Song, I Need You to Turn To, Take Me to the Pilot, etc, which are perfect with the piano playing and the vocals, it is a brilliant sophmore album!

It is definitely one of my favorite EJ albums and my favorite track is Take Me to the Pilot!Over green fields, trees and mountains Flowers and forest fountains Home along the lanes of the skyway
Over green fields, trees and mountains

Flowers and forest fountains

Home along the lanes of the skyway

crazywater
They must have the whole thing planned...

03 Dec 2001, 21:25 #3

For me, this album has some classics, "The Greatest Discovery," "Your Song," "Border Song" and "Sixty Years On" but I never really got into this album very much. Perhaps its the darkness of it...I should try and give it another listen and see if my opinion changes...Maybe it's because my first album purchase was Caribou, then I went back and started getting the earlier albums."if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..." EJ/BT 76

"...if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..."
EJ/BT '76

Elton John: The Crazy Water Community

Elton John News Blog

BobbyGood
Hello, baby hello...

04 Dec 2001, 05:19 #4

Just like you, Crazy, I started with Good-bye Yellowbrick Road and then Caribou, Captain Fantastic and went backwards to Empty Sky, Elton John, Honky Cat, Tumbleweed....Madman Across the Water, etc.

The first time I got turned on to his early music, now bare in mind, this was the ladder part of 1975, there was this old radio station in Boston that used to feature certain artists on the weekends. Well this one weekend that they featured the music of Elton John, they were playing songs like "Burn Down the Mission" "Val-halla", "The King Must Die", etc. At that point I was hooked and the rest is history.

magnus greel
On a bench, on the beach...

22 Sep 2002, 04:38 #5

I love the dark, morose, or at least solemn feel of the whole thing. What I keep wondering is how they got from Empty Sky, to this?! They become brilliant and self-assured overnight, seemingly right at the moment the decade changes. What if I decide to become brilliant next decade, do you think it will work?

There are songs that interfere with the "second Elton John album" I want to picture in my head. Your Song is too relaxed and optimistic, and this kind of album cannot start with a cheerful hit 45. "No Shoestrings On Louise" was obviously put in for peopole who'd have a problem with the classical stuff, and to show he did other kinds of music too. At least "Take Me Back" was funny. They had at least two other perfect "2nd EJ album" songs that would are screaming to go into that slot: "Grey Seal" and "Bad Side Of The Moon".

I try to like "... Hienton" (where is that?) and "Greatest Discovery" and know they're good, I can tell. Anyway, with some substitutions and fooling around with song order, the awe-inspiring album I carry around somewhere in my head might become real, finally.
"In my thick skull, a joker hides."-- Taupin, 2001.

Glitz Pianoman
On a bench, on the beach...

08 Dec 2002, 23:23 #6

"Take Me Back" was on 1980's 21 at 33, not Elton John. Did you mean "Take Me to the Pilot"?Glitz Pianoman: Bringing the music of Elton John to people everywhere.

I'm on the stage tonight
And if the price is right
I will amaze before the light
I crave the light, blinding white
I need the lights tonight.
(--EJ\BT 1978)

magnus greel 1
Hello, baby hello...

14 Dec 2002, 09:41 #7

I didn't say that "Take Me Back" was on Elton John. I was comparing one country song to another, and saying that even that inconsequential song from a lesser album is better than "Shoestrings" from one of the great albums--- therefore, something's wrong. It shouldn't have been there. All "Take Me Back" had to do to be better, was to be slightly funny. "In my thick skull, a joker hides." --- Taupin, 2001
"In my thick skull, a joker hides." --- Taupin, 2001

TheCagedSongbird
Hello, baby hello...

21 Aug 2003, 04:56 #8

Much like crazywater, I started off by buying Elton's big albums. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic. Those were my two first. then I went down to Florida for a vacation. It was there I bought the Elton John album. Now at first, I was fine with it. After all, what self respecting Elton fan doesn't know Your Song? But then I hit the rest of the album. Now whenever I buy a new album, I always look for the rock out songs. To me at this point, EJ didn't have any. There was Take me to the Pilot, The Cage, but it was't enough. So it really didn';t get alot of playing time in my CD player. However, after time, I gave it another try. And to my surprise, i found myself liking it. It is a moody, reflective album, with some powerful songs. The King must die, SIxty years on. Now, while it doesn't nearly geat as many plays as my other albums, I consider it a classic.

dixielily.e
Hello, baby hello...

22 Aug 2003, 02:10 #9

I love listening to this album back to back with Empty Sky, if for no other reason than to appreciate the incredible musical leap between the two. Paul Buckmaster's arrangements and Gus Dudgeon's production values really made the difference. Of course, Elton's melodies improved and Bernie's lyrics were less esoteric than those on the hippie-flavored Empty Sky.

Of the songs on the Elton John album, I particularly love "First Episode at Hienton," "Sixty Years On," "Your Song" and "The Greatest Discovery." I consider the latter to be one of Bernie's lyrical masterpieces, and Elton's melody cements the tender mood of the song. Overall, this album was a signpost pointing to the greatness that was to come.

magnus greel 1
Hello, baby hello...

14 Sep 2003, 01:26 #10

I recently came across a Rolling Stone full page ad for this album, with the caption (I believe): "The sound that never happened before". The wording's a little awkward, but it must have seemed that way to a listener in 1970. It's sad to me that so many people would rather hear the more "up" tunes... that dark, sombre sound of his from 1970-71 must have been as overwhelming and unique an experience for people who were hearing it for the first time (and who connected with it) as Sgt. Pepper had been. It's music that just makes your jaw drop in awe.

Not all of it... it's inconsistent as I was saying before, even though all the material existed to make a brilliant seamless near-perfect album, but songs that should have been on the album went on B-sides, and vice-versa. If only Grey Seal and Bad Side of the Moon ( the latter replacing "No Shoestrings...") had been on it. Maybe even "Into The Old Man's Shoes", which lyrically fits on Tumbleweed, but musically it might almost work on EJ. "Your Song"... separate single, maybe."In my thick skull, a joker hides." --- Taupin, 2001
"In my thick skull, a joker hides." --- Taupin, 2001