Record Store Day 2017-17-17-70+

The #1 Elton John message board on the net!

Talk about the music and career of Elton John here.

Please adhere to the Community rules that can be found here.

Hello, baby hello... and welcome back!
nureintier
But you ought to be a saint...

06 Apr 2017, 16:16 #1

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ay-w475107 Apparently another reissue of 17-11-70 with more tracks coming out for RSD this year which will have 2 LPs because of the extended running time. That's cool and all, but I must say I have some mixed feelings due to the fact that I just preordered a different copy of the same album, reissued and remastered. The ones coming out on 4/28 are supposed to be identical to the original releases, I understand that, in that they even made them by restoring the original artwork (apparently, haven't seen them yet) and are likely the same as the Burberry box set from last November, but with a wider release, individually available, and a lower price tag for those of us who wouldn't/couldn't get that box set.  

On the other hand, I can't complain too much that there are more releases of EJ vinyl, I just kind of hoped that more releases would equal more different albums, though extra tracks is also good. Video and article at the link above.

17.11.70+ Track List
A1 "Take Me To The Pilot" 

A2 "Honky Tonk Women" 

A3 "Sixty Years On" 

A4 "Can't Put You On"B1 "Bad Side Of The Moon" 

B2 "Burn Down The Mission" (Incl. "My Baby Left Me" / "Get Back") 
C1 "Indian Sunset" *
C2 "Amoreena" (Newly remixed bonus track)
C3 "Your Song" *D1 "Country Comfort" *
D2 "I Need You To Turn To" *
D3 "Border Song" *
D4 "My Father's Gun" ** Previously unreleased bonus track

Doesn't seem to be any word on if it'll also be available online, as some RSD releases have been in the past (got "come back baby" and Thom Bell Sessions online, because there are literally no record stores anywhere near where I live), but I'll probably end up buying it despite already having about 6 copies of 17-11-70. 
Last edited by nureintier on 06 Apr 2017, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

gayrobot
On a bench, on the beach...

07 Apr 2017, 04:22 #2

SFTWC set to be released on Vinyl next week

https://www.roughtrade.com/music/songs- ... west-coast
I may be an idiot, I may be a savant.  I didn't choose this life for me, but it's something that I want

nureintier

07 Apr 2017, 05:30 #3

Weird. I pre-ordered all 6 of the albums that were remastered and I thought Amazon was still saying the release is 4/28.

Now I want this 2LP 17-11-70 too though. 

nureintier

19 Apr 2017, 22:47 #4

I have seen people on FB saying they have already received their SFTWC.

I haven't seen any mention of a normal retail price for 17-11-70+ anywhere though, though I've seen Ebay listings and third party Amazon sellers with much higher prices than what the retail probably is.

I literally have no music stores anywhere near me, much less record stores, so my only hope for 17-11-70+ is buying online. Apparently some other Amazon sites (Italy, Spain, Germany) might have listings but I haven't looked.

Still, I find it kind of unecessarily confusing that two reissues of the exact same album are coming out in the same month: the remastered regular 17-11-70, which is supposed to look the same as the original release, and 17-11-70+ with the extra tracks. I've even seen Amazon listings where both versions are listed in the same listing, which is bound to confuse people if they don't pay attention to whether it has a or 2xLPs in it.

bob32116

20 Apr 2017, 15:59 #5

I think the point of Record Store Day is to get you to actually go to a record store. Given that, I would not necessarily expect to get the same thing online.

nureintier

20 Apr 2017, 18:01 #6

bob32116 wrote:I think the point of Record Store Day is to get you to actually go to a record store. Given that, I would not necessarily expect to get the same thing online.
We literally have none where I live (not even any music stores that don't sell vinyl; they all closed years ago), and this is true for a lot of people, I'm sure. So it often just seems like they're making really limited stuff that is not accessible to many, and then people jack up the prices 5x retail on Ebay for the people who couldn't get to a record store, either due to location, or having to work that day or something.

I have never bought any vinyl in a store after the year 2000, only online, because I rarely travel far enough to locate a physical store that sells vinyl. I think a lot of record shops have popped up in big cities after vinyl started getting popular again in the past 10 years or so, but not so much in a lot of rural areas. 

I'm done with it this year, not buying any RSD exclusive things. I'll be happy with the 6 EJ regular rereleases/remasters I preordered.

Last year I bought the Thom Bell Sessions and Bluesology-Come Back Baby, because these were on sale through the regular Amazon site.

People have already started listing 17-11-70+ for over a hundred dollars (US) on Ebay. I've seen even worse markups already, too; there is a David Bowie release that is supposed retail around $50 and there are listings for $300 on Ebay right now.

Just saying that there are people who might want to buy things, such as a re-release with bonus tracks, and can't get them due to this.
Last edited by nureintier on 20 Apr 2017, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.

bob32116

20 Apr 2017, 20:40 #7

If I were running a record store I would probably have stuff discounted (and I don't mean rubbish, but music people would actually want to buy) to entice people to the store, plus live appearances. It doesn't have to be a megastar; moderately popular local bands are fine, even just band members doing an acoustic set. People will come to hear the music and buy discounted stuff and will probably end up buying full-price records as well. You can't take that experience away and sell it for a profit on eBay.
------------------------------------------
We had a really good "record store" at my local shopping centre until a few years ago. It used to sell CDs and vinyl and it would have not only what was on the charts plus "classic rock", you would also find lesser known stuff like Porcupine Tree. Hardly anyone in this country knows of Porcupine Tree.

They obviously could not compete with Amazon and the like, so they shut down the music side of the business as well as the movie rental side. The bookshop section is still going and seems to be thriving. Above the bookshop is the studio of the local community radio station which is where I have made most of my music discoveries in recent years (by listening to the station, not by actually being in the studio.)

Where the record store was is now a Mexican food place - quite good Mexican, but it ain't the same. Image

There are however a small number of quite good record stores scattered around the suburbs of Perth.

If you are ever in Melbourne, check out Basement Records. You can browsse there for hours.
Last edited by bob32116 on 20 Apr 2017, 20:51, edited 3 times in total.

nureintier

20 Apr 2017, 21:30 #8

Wish I could travel more these days, too many bills and health problems.

Somehow we still have 2 movie rental stores in town. I haven't been in much. Maybe everyone here watches movies and no one listens to music.

The main thing I think is irritating about some RSD releases, though, is that in some cases, things that were previously unreleased are being released as RSD-only things, and people who might collect music by those artists may well want the previously unreleased things more than they want the record just for the sake of having it on vinyl.

I mean, I could have easily lived without the RSD "Come back baby" reissue, if it hadn't been sold online. If I was curious about that, I have the song on To Be Continued. But then with 17-11-70+, there are bonus tracks that aren't on the other official versions. And with some other artists, they are putting out, for example, otherwise unreleased live shows from 40+ years ago, but only in limited numbers and only certain stores.

I guess it's just that I like to have all available recordings from some artists, which is why I'm still picking up EJ 45s: some of the B-sides were not released elsewhere. Yes, I could look them up on YouTube, but that's not the same.

bob32116

22 Apr 2017, 16:42 #9

I went to a number of record stores today, independent stores that were listed as participating in Record Store Day.

Their definition of participation seems to be that "the shop is open". To all intents and purposes it was like going there on any other day. I didn't buy anything.

captfan1
Now she rolls like the dice...

23 Apr 2017, 16:58 #10

The RSD in my area was a huge success. There was a line over 90 minutes long JUST TO ENTER the shop, then the line to make a purchase was another hour and fifteen minutes!! It made me happy as this independent shop does not look like it will shut down any time soon - which is a great thing for those of us that still enjoy going to a music store rather than download everything or buy on Amazon! I was able to buy 3 copies of 17/11/70+, and it actually sold out by the time I got to the register to buy my copies! Looks like this release was a successful one!