Taupin Double Entendre on Captain & The Kid

This is a special forum created for discussion of Elton John's new album "The Captain and The Kid" which is destined to be a classic!
jacobs4
On a bench, on the beach...

02 Nov 2006, 02:38 #1

I don't have time to wade through all the discussion here to see if someone hasn't previously mentioned this.
Also- before I bring this up, I'm not intending to make some political statement and I hope this doesn't spark a huge political debate, but....
I have a strong sense that Taupin put a double meaning in a few of his lyrics, to reflect current events.
The first is this lyric:
The common sense I sometimes lack
Has opened up a seismic crack
I've fallen in and I can't pull back.
And I guess we'll have to stay

Maybe even more than this applying to Richard Nixon. I see it as a a dig at the current President
The other lyric I imagine a second meaning in:
And still that saying gets inside my mind
that "Your enemies grow strong on what you leave behind"
I built it up and the wolf he came around
He huffed and puffed, He huffed and puffed,
He huffed and puffed, He huffed and puffed,
And the house fell down

With this lyric I have a strong mental connection to 9/11 and the fall of the World Trade Center.
I'm usually not big on interpreting lyrics, because I feel I always have the wrong idea, but I'm wondering if anyone else might see this as well.

NortheastEJFan
Now she rolls like the dice...

02 Nov 2006, 03:12 #2

Jacobs4:
Your post gives me chills! I think you're really onto something.
Image EJR
"Birds are the litmus paper of our environment."
--Roger Tory Peterson
"Another old prophet perched upon a fence...."
--Birds, EJ/BT

Janel8268.e

02 Nov 2006, 04:18 #3

Same here. Freaky!

JohnGris

02 Nov 2006, 05:54 #4

Interesting way to look at it, but if that "House Fell..." passage was really about the World Trade Center, it would be too literal, too heavy handed, to have a meaningful effect to me. And you're definitely not the only one that thinks of the current situation whenever Vietnam is mentioned, in Postcards or anywhere else. It's always eerie to me.
But I must warn you...title of this thread reminds me of a note one of my English professors once gave me when I alluded to what I called a double entendre: "Careful!! This term should only apply to double meanings that are sexual."
So when I clicked on this thread, I'm automatically looking for the sex-related double meaning. Before reading your comments, my eyes automatically went to the first verse you quoted to see if I could catch the double entendre all by myself. So I read,
The common sense I sometimes lack
Has opened up a seismic crack
I've fallen in and I can't pull back.
And I guess we'll have to stay

Image Image
I was very disturbed until I realized that you were referring to a second political meaning.Image
-JohnGris

"There's no such thing as too much funk" -Mem Shannon
"There's no such thing as too much funk" -Mem Shannon

EltonCroatiaFan
Step on the thin ice lightly...

02 Nov 2006, 09:14 #5

Yes, really freaky! Image
Both lyrics seems like they're about terrorism. And this with House is especially freaky. I didn't notice it before, but it really seems ot could be that Bernie gave us those hidden meanings again Image

crazywater
They must have the whole thing planned...

02 Nov 2006, 17:04 #6

And The House Fell Down is about Elton's popularity/success (his house) coming crashing down all around him due to his addictions and the press turning against him...
The enemies line is supposedly some line from "The Godfather III" that Bernie had wanted to use in a song and finally found a way to work it in...
I am not saying your wrong I just think there's more evidence to the contrary..."...if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..." EJ/BT '76The Crazy Water Community

"...if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..."
EJ/BT '76

Elton John: The Crazy Water Community

Elton John News Blog

NortheastEJFan
Now she rolls like the dice...

02 Nov 2006, 17:16 #7

Bruce:
I think that Jacobs4's point was that ...House Fell can be read both ways, not that it must be read as a comment on certain terror attacks.
I, too, recall Bernie saying that he plucked the "enemies grow strong" line from the Godfather series, but it doesn't make sense at all unless one reads it in the context of a discussion of the root causes of terror. EJR
"Birds are the litmus paper of our environment."
--Roger Tory Peterson
"Another old prophet perched upon a fence...."
--Birds, EJ/BT

jacobs4

02 Nov 2006, 18:14 #8

JohnGris, I am blushing now! Actually, I did check the true meaning of "double entendre" before I posted, because the term has mainly come to mean a second sexually suggestive meaning, but in this case I merely meant a second meaning related to current events. The Roget's definition of Double Entendre is: "An expression or term liable to more than one interpretation." so it was appropriate, but maybe a little misleading.
It's odd that so many innocent songs have been accused of being about drugs, and I'm turning it around and suggesting a song which is so obviously about drugs has a hidden meaning in it. Image I agree with Liz that the "enemies" line doesn't fit in with the drug interpretation. The only thing I could possibly think of was the rise of Punk Rock, and their hatred of superstars like Elton, but the terrorism connection seems to fit so much better.

ThisSongHasNoTitle78
Hello, baby hello...

02 Nov 2006, 20:36 #9

Yeah, I think the whole Punk scene could have been an enemy to Elton, or how about the critics and the tabloids?
I think it's cool that people are forming their own meanings out of these songs; that's what Elton's best work has always allowed for.

napchier
I\'ve seen that movie too...

03 Nov 2006, 00:19 #10

My word! Where on earth are we going here? Is this The DaVinci Code or The Captain And The Kid? Lol! I dunno. Some good guesses up there, however there are many other world events that they can be applied to if you're gonna be going down that road. Those passages seem a little vague to me, when trying to pin them on the other things mentioned above, I think those lines have much more weight in the context they have been placed. But then again, they would need to be subtle wouldn't they, otherwise the songs would litterally be about something else. The thing is with 'And the house fell down' is those lines you mentioned come from two things, one being the 'Godfather Part 1', and the other 'The Three Little Pigs' story, which is about 2 pigs that get eaten up by a wolf for taking stock in the wrong things, i.e house materials, and 1 pig at the end getting it right. Elton is now the little pig at the end, with his walls firmly in place and made of brick, not fragile and built out of wood or straw, and so the wolf can no longer blow through his foundations and eat him up. That's all I think that one's about. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.