The road of Captain and the Kid

This is a special forum created for discussion of Elton John's new album "The Captain and The Kid" which is destined to be a classic!
chrisbalcar
Step on the thin ice lightly...

27 Nov 2008, 05:24 #1

Elton's 15 'f***s' in one minuteMonday, November 6, 2006

Sir Elton John left fans shocked after launching into a foul-mouthed outburst at a concert - in which he said 'f**k' 15 times in one
minute.

The flamboyant singer was performing at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, in New York, when he started ranting against his record
label.

Elton was introducing new song 'Postcards From Richard Nixon', from his latest album 'Captain And The Kid', when his
expletive-filled tirade started.

I'm going to play a song but I'm sure you haven't heard it because the f***ers haven't promoted it!

He fumed: 'I'm going to play a song but I'm sure you haven't heard it because the f***ers haven't promoted it!

'My record label isn't doing anything to help. F**k Universal. They're useless. Here's a message to Universal Records -
please drop me. Just let me go somewhere else.'

Elton's rant didn't go down too well with his fans. One angry audience member said: 'What is wrong with Elton? He needs an ego
check.'

The swipe at his record label comes around a week after the 'Rocket Man'singer's manager Merck Mercuriadis stopped
representing him by 'mutual agreement' - a decision believed to have been influenced by Elton's disappointment at his poor album sales.

Although 'Captain And The Kid', released on September 19, reached number six in the UK album chart in its first week it fell out
of the top 40 altogether by just the third week.

It didn't fare much better in the US, peaking at number 18 in the Billboard 200.

However, Elton's agent, Gary Farrow, insists the 59-year-old musician has no problem with the way his LP has been promoted.

Farrow said: 'I think you'll find it was tongue-in-cheek about the record company. You have to look for the humour. The reviews
Elton's had over the last six months have been the best he's had for a record in ten years

chrisbalcar

01 Dec 2008, 20:02 #2

Review by Bucky for Rock N Roll Universe

Almost 31 years after the release of the fantastic 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy'album, Elton John & lyricist Bernie Taupin are
back together for the sequel album titled 'The Captain and the Kid'. The new album is an autobiographical story of the dynamic duo of songwriting.
The first thing I checked out was the well put together booklet and liner notes to see what musicians played on the CD, and it was great to see the core of
his 70's band, drummer extraordinaire Nigel Olsson and guitarist Davey Johnstone in the line up (original bass player Dee Murray passed away in 1992).

The opening song "Postcards From Richard Nixon," musically would have fit on any of his 70's albums, as it relives President Nixon welcoming
the duo to the States with open arms to create a diversion to the Vietnam situation.T he next song "Just Like Noah's Arc," is an upbeat honky
tonk number that would've fit in nicely on Elton's 'Honky Chateau'album. Elton's performance really shines on"The Bridge,"
where Elton challenges his listeners "…Do you cross the bridge or do you fade away?...". "Old 67" shows the songwriting duo reminiscing
about the beginnings of their musical path, which leads into the last track on the CD "The Captain and the Kid"."The Captain and the Kid"
is about moving forward and the differences between now and then.The song references Elton's career by mentioning snippets of Elton and Bernie's
works such as Tumbleweed Connection,' 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,' Brown Dirt Cowboy' and "Rocket man".

Overall,'The Captain and the Kid' is a great singer/songwriter album that spans the career over 35 years of one of the greatest songwriting duos
ever.This album is definitely a must for fans of Sir Elton and lyrically is one of his best. He may not be hitting the high notes he used to, but musically
it does pick up where 'Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy' left off.

chrisbalcar

10 Dec 2008, 04:27 #3

The Captain and the Kid is the third album in a career-resurrecting run that began in 2001,
when Elton John took the novel approach of sitting down at a piano and writing songs that sound a lot like Elton John. The album is a sequel to 1975's
chart-topping Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, and it has moments that rival the original: The songs are precision instruments, from the
honky-tonk pop of "Just Like Noah's Ark" to pristine ballads like the title track. With lyricist Bernie Taupin in tow, The Kid traces
thirty-odd years' worth of ups and downs that befall the duo. The story line gets a little murky and the album cheeses out on songs like "The
Bridge." But more than just a gift to fans, it shows Elton's gifts haven't deserted him. And that's more than good
enough.

Jnoble
And lovers leap off burning buildings...

22 Dec 2008, 23:33 #4

"However, Elton's agent, Gary Farrow, insists the 59-year-old musician has no problem with the way his LP has been promoted.

Farrow said: 'I think you'll find it was tongue-in-cheek about the record company. You have to look for the humour. The reviews Elton's had over
the last six months have been the best he's had for a record in ten years"

Nice try to spin this, Mr Manager. "Tougue in cheek" about the record company?? "Look for the humor?" Come on, he was pissed about the weak
promotion of the album and we all know it. How dumb do you think we are?

Jnoble
And lovers leap off burning buildings...

22 Dec 2008, 23:33 #5

"However, Elton's agent, Gary Farrow, insists the 59-year-old musician has no problem with the way his LP has been promoted.

Farrow said: 'I think you'll find it was tongue-in-cheek about the record company. You have to look for the humour. The reviews Elton's had over
the last six months have been the best he's had for a record in ten years"

Nice try to spin this, Mr Manager. "Tougue in cheek" about the record company?? "Look for the humor?" Come on, he was pissed about the weak
promotion of the album and we all know it. How dumb do you think we are?

chrisbalcar

06 Jan 2009, 06:26 #6

September 6 2006

US CONCERT - Rose Theater, New York City NY

1. +Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding
  2. +Bennie And The Jets
  3. +Philadelphia Freedom
  4. +Believe
  5. +Daniel
  6. +I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
  7. +Rocket Man
  8. +Take Me To The Pilot
  9. +Someone Saved My Life Tonight
  10. +Postcards From Richard Nixon
  11. +Just Like Noah's Ark
  12. +Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way (NYC)
  13. +Tinderbox
  14. +Blues Never Fade Away
  15. +The Bridge
  16. +I Must Have Lost It On The Wind
  17. +Old '67
  18. +The Captain And The Kid
  19. +Tiny Dancer
  20. +Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
  21. +The Bitch Is Back
  22. +Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
  23. +Mona Lisa's And Mad Hatters
The Rose Theater is the jazz theater of Lincoln Center, located in the brand new Time Warner building overlooking Columbus Circle. Elton
John
and the band perform for 2.5 hours for 1,231 people, premiering the songs from the upcoming album The Captain And The Kid.
A concert report by J. Phillips, on EltonFan.net, details some background on the songs provided by a chatty Elton John:

Elton explained that Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy was about the years 1967-1970 when they had to
deal with failure. The new album, he said, was the idea of his manager Merck Mercuriadis who acknowledged that Elton always
said that Bernie now really was the Brown Dirt Cowboy living on a ranch in Santa Ynez (he couldn't pronounce the name of the town) and
talked about how he works with horses and cows, adding that he knows nothing about cows… "I've known some cows," he said to great applause. And
he added that Merck mentioned how he "swanned around in private jets" and really was "Captain Fantastic." But more
importantly, Elton said that the new album about the years 1970-2006 was about how they dealt with success - in other words, the opposite of
the original album.

Elton mentioned that the album was recorded "live" on a stage in Atlanta. I thought for a moment about how "soft" the
original Captain album was, and contrasted this to the idea of Elton "on stage" recording his new album
with all of his new piano-playing tricks. But then it hit me: that's right - if the album is up-to-date as of 2006, then recording "live" on a
stage in Atlanta of all places makes perfect sense. It's who he is today, not trying to emulate a sound from long ago.

He mentioned that the opening track Postcards From Richard Nixon was about how they arrived in LA in "September 1970," - we know it was
August, of course. The audience liked this one, and it did sound like a good old-fashioned Elton song.

He then introduced Just Like Noah's Ark by mentioning how Elton and Bernie were like two kids from England who
had arrived in the states, and everyone was offering them contracts to be their manager, etc.

Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way he said was a "love song" for New York, a city he says he loves, which offers the "best gig in
town, Madison Square Garden."

Elton said that Tinderbox was about the time when Elton and Bernie felt they were spending too
much time together and maybe getting on each others nerves.

Elton then talked about how unfair it is that some people's lives are cut short and how other people get to live long lives. He said
that "you never know when it's your time to go" and then introduced Blues Never Fade Away.

The Bridge is the only song I've heard, and only once on eltonjohn.com. I remember the track being sparse and so I was surprised by the very
beautiful chorus harmony during the bridge of the song, no pun intended. This was for me by far the best song of the evening.

When introducing I Must Have Lost It On The Wind, Elton remarked that the song was about their love lives and that they had to
compress it to a very short amount of time. Elton said that after years of drugs and alcohol and so forth, nobody could tell him anything.
He loved Bernie's lyric, "You couldn't tell me I was wrong, you couldn't tell me anything, and if you did then I guess I
must have lost it on the wind."

Elton introduced Old '67 by saying that Bernie came to visit him for 5 days at his house in the South of
France before they made Songs From The West Coast. He added that it was rare that they get to spend that much time together. He
said that they agreed that they needed to "draw a line in the sand," and recognize that their days in the sun, so to speak, were over, that they
would no longer be having hit singles and that they should concentrate on making really great albums that they like. I take it that "67" refers to
the year that their partnership started.

And then we reached the finale of The Captain And The Kid interlude, only skipping the song And The House Fell Down. Why
it was dropped, I don't know. Elton explained that the song The Captain And The Kid incorporates the "riff" of the
Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy melody in order to "complete the cycle," in other words, the first song of the original album
has the same melody as the last song of the sequel album. Did it work? Yes and no. It was nice to hear the old melody to tie the two together, but I'm
not sure after one listen in concert whether it was a good idea of not. If the two songs end up being played back-to-back in concert, you know, it might be
interesting.
thanks Paul Maclauchlan, a dear friend
Last edited by chrisbalcar on 06 Jan 2009, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.