Was He Worried We Might Go Too Far?

This is a special forum created for discussion of Elton John's new album "The Captain and The Kid" which is destined to be a classic!
ThisSongHasNoTitle78
Hello, baby hello...

04 Nov 2006, 22:36 #1

I've always liked this line from "Tenderbox": was he worried we might go too far, maybe wind up rhyming moon and June.
Does anyone know if this line was meant as a literal dig to any one particular group or artist?

kurdy79
Sugar bear...

04 Nov 2006, 23:53 #2

"'Moon' and 'June'" is well-known for being one of the all-time lyric cliches. It was used a lot in the days before rock 'n roll, and the phrase itself has come to mean any song that has boring and unimaginative lyrics. There are so many songwriters who have used that rhyme, so no, I don't believe Bernie was aiming at anyone in particular. He was mainly just refering to any songwriter who has started to run out of ideas.

RKDwight
Hello, baby hello...

05 Nov 2006, 01:18 #3

Tinderbox.

ThisSongHasNoTitle78
Hello, baby hello...

05 Nov 2006, 02:14 #4

R.K., thank you very much for pointing out my error. I guess I'm probably one of the only people that wasn't familiar with the term before "Captain And The Kid", and I made the mistake of not referring to the CD cover. I would have continued to make the same mistake had you not been kind enough to chime in. Image

ThisSongHasNoTitle78
Hello, baby hello...

05 Nov 2006, 02:34 #5

Kurdy- Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't aware of the cliche. I guess I haven't heard it used too often, but I did figure that it was a way for Taupin to express mediocrity in lyrics. It is a pretty simple rhyme.
The only song I can think of at this moment that uses that rhyme is "Aubry" by "Bread". I guess Taupin's point was made..Image

ThisSongHasNoTitle78
Hello, baby hello...

05 Nov 2006, 08:58 #6

Just to add- I also thought there could have been a song that was popular around Elton's decline that used that lyric, and Elton and Taupin were giving it a nod with the line in "Tinderbox".

Pinky
I\'ve seen that movie too...

05 Nov 2006, 14:25 #7

I remember hearing Elton say in an interview once that he simply cannot write lyrics.......they were more ''moon and june'' when he tried.
Pinky Image "Pinky's as perfect as the fourth of July. Quilted and timeless seldom denied." EJ/BT 1974
"Pinky's as perfect as the fourth of July. Quilted and timeless seldom denied." EJ/BT 1974

Ian Hills
But you ought to be a saint...

09 Nov 2006, 23:28 #8

When Paul McCartney was trying to get some of the Beatles songswriting credits changed to McCartney/Lennon (the ones he wrote), Yoko answered back that John was a far better writer and Paul used to just rhyme Moon with June.
She came in through the bathroom window
protected by a silver spoon
now she holds her head and wonders by the old lagoon
Your Signature ... Who'd be a turkey at Christmas?

mad hatter 041
I\'ve seen that movie too...

10 Nov 2006, 06:56 #9

... or "spoon" with "lagoon" as your quote indicates.

I wasn't sure how to take that line. On the one hand, yes, Moon and June is a simple rhyme and could be taken as an insult to Bernie's lyrics becoming lax. But I also wondered, given the preceding line about "were they worried we might go too far," whether the next line "maybe wind up rhyming moon with June" meant becoming too professional. Let me try to say that better. If you consider some of the old professional songwriters, say through the early 60's or so, and I can't say like this person or this person, because I don't know, but as possible examples, Gershwin, Rodgers, Goffen, Bachrach.... I would have no doubt that they did rhyme moon with June. So, that is how I took Bernie's lyrics - to mean "were they worried we might go too far and be compared to the professional songwriters of yesteryear.""I thank the Lord there's people out there like you.
While Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, sons of bankers, sons of lawyers, turn around and say good morning to the night, for unless they see the sky, but they can't, and that is why, they know not if it's dark outside or light."
"I thank the Lord there's people out there like you.

While Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, sons of bankers, sons of lawyers, turn around and say good morning to the night, for unless they see the sky, but they can't, and that is why, they know not if it's dark outside or light."

Ive Seen The Saucers
Hello, baby hello...

11 Nov 2006, 16:28 #10

"June Moon" is an old film from the 1930's. Quote from IMDB:
"Aspiring lyricist Fred Stevens leaves Schenectady for New York City, with hopes of making it big in the songwriting business."So many times I'm almost in-tune...
So many times I'm almost in-tune...