Wasn't some big thing going on last night in Denver?

This forum is now shut down.
crazywater
They must have the whole thing planned...

29 Aug 2008, 17:58 #1

McCain picks Alaska gov as running mate.

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 37 minutes ago

DENVER - John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov.
Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate on Friday in a startling selection on the eve of the Republican National Convention.

Two senior campaign officials disclosed McCain's decision a few hours before the Republican presidential nominee-to-be and his newly-minted running
mate appeared at a rally in swing-state Ohio.

Palin, like McCain, is a conservative with a maverick streak who has shown a willingness to clash with others in her own party. A self-styled hockey mom
and political reformer, she has been governor of her state less than two years.

Palin's selection shocked numerous Republican officials.

At 44, Palin is a generation younger that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's
running mate on the Democratic ticket.

"...if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..."
EJ/BT '76

Elton John: The Crazy Water Community

Elton John News Blog

31 Aug 2008, 00:20 #2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/13001

Presidential scholars say she appears to be the least experienced, least credentialed person to join a major-party ticket in the modern era.

So unconventional was McCain's choice that it left students of the presidency literally "stunned," in the words of Joel Goldstein, a St. Louis
University law professor and scholar of the vice presidency. "Being governor of a small state for less than two years is not consistent with the normal
criteria for determining who's of presidential caliber," said Goldstein.

"I think she is the most inexperienced person on a major party ticket in modern history," said presidential historian Matthew Dallek.

That includes Spiro T. Agnew, Richard Nixon's first vice president, who was governor of a medium-sized state, Maryland, for two years, and before that,
executive of suburban Baltimore County, the expansive jurisdiction that borders and exceeds in population the city of Baltimore.

31 Aug 2008, 02:23 #3

On August 10, Karl Rove went on "Face The Nation" to argue that Senator Obama would make an "intensely political choice" for Vice
President without regard for the "responsibilities of president." At the time, Rove believed Obama would choose Tim Kaine, and argued against him
by saying this:

Image Download | http://www.crooksandliars...17/1/FTN-Rove-VPPick.wmv/','370','290')">Play
Image Download | http://www.crooksandliars...17/2/FTN-Rove-VPPick.mov/','370','290')">Play

With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished.
I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America.
And again, with all due respect to Richmond, Virginia, it's smaller than Chula Vista, California; Aurora, Colorado; Mesa or Gilbert, Arizona; north Las
Vegas or Henderson, Nevada. It's not a big town. So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, `You
know what? I'm really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United
States?

As we now know, Barack Obama chose Joe Biden as his VP, probably the least political choice he could have made, and probably the best
governing choice he could have made. John McCain, on the other hand, is the one who made the "intensely political choice" by choosing Sara Palin -
a political newcomer and self-described "hockey mom" who has less than two years of governing experience and ZERO foreign policy experience - all
because the political winds dictated that "change" was going to trump "experience" this election.

Rove argues that Kaine's mayorship of Richmond (pop. 200,000+) is insignificant and that
his 3 years as Governor of Virginia (pop. 7,712,091, GDP $383 million) has been "indistinguisahable." If Rove was
intellectually consistent, wouldn't that mean Palin's mayorship of Wasilla (pop. 8,000+)
and 20 months as Alaska governor (pop. 683,478, GDP $44.5 million) makes her even less qualified than Kaine?

Barack Obama chose Joe Biden because he knows his way around Washington and knows how to get stuff done. His selection mollifies virtually no voting block
or constituency.

McCain, on the other hand, chose someone eminently unqualified for the job (seriously, can you see Sara Palin sitting down with Maliki or Karzai or any
other world leader?) for the sole reason of appeasing the right-wing lunatic fringe and hoping to
pick off a few die-hard Hillary holdouts, as well as assuaging voters' concerns about his septuagenarianism.

So, Karl, who made the "intensely political choice"?

What can we take away from this episode? When Karl Rove suggests something - in this case, Obama would make an "intensely political decision" -
always assume the opposite will happen. Remember, Rove predicted, according to "the math," that the GOP would pick up seats in 2006.They of
course were swept out of power in an historic landslide.

Remind me again why the punditocracy heralds this guys as some sort of political genius?

crazywater

01 Sep 2008, 20:05 #4

"The authors quote four scholars attacking Gov. Palin's fitness for the office of vice president. Among them, David Kennedy is a maxed-out Obama
donor, Joel Goldstein is also an Obama donor, and Doris Kearns Goodwin has donated exclusively to Democrats this cycle. Finally, Matthew Dallek is a former
speech writer for Dick Gephardt. This is not a story about scholars questioning Gov. Palin's credentials so much as partisan Democrats who would find a
reason to disqualify or discount any nominee put forward by Sen. McCain."

EJ/BT '76

Elton John News Blog

crazywater

01 Sep 2008, 20:08 #5

Was it a politcal choice? Yes....so what. She is still more qualifed to be president than Obama is. Is it a risk? Yes.

Was Biden a risk? Not at all. It was probably a safe pick after all he certainly doesn't fit the "Change" mantra does he?

EJ/BT '76

Elton John News Blog

04 Sep 2008, 10:29 #6

Peggy Noonan: It's over

Noonan: The most qualified? No. I think they went for this, excuse me, political **** about narratives and (inaudible) the picture.

http://www.crooksandliars...k-whos-telling-the-truth/

Let's see you find a way to discredit and ignore Peggy Noonan! Image

05 Sep 2008, 12:11 #7

http://ccinsider.comedyce...8/09/jon-stewart-ann.html

Image Image Image

The hypocrisy is an overload this time. I love how Billo intones gravely: "The fault lies primarily with the parents" about Jamie Lynn Spears'
(age: 16) pregnancy and then proceeds to label her a pinhead of the first order. Image Image Image

crazywater

07 Sep 2008, 00:05 #8

Peggy Noonan: It's over

Noonan: The most qualified? No. I think they went for this, excuse me, political **** about narratives and (inaudible) the picture.
As usual you only get half the story. This is what she says the conversation was about, and the audio does seem to start mid-conversation;

In our off-air conversation, I got on the subject of the leaders of the Republican party assuming, now, that whatever the base of the Republican party thinks
is what America thinks. I made the case that this is no longer true, that party leaders seem to me stuck in the assumptions of 1988 and 1994, the assumptions
that reigned when they were young and coming up. "The first lesson they learned is the one they remember," I said to Todd -- and I'm pretty
certain that is a direct quote. But, I argued, that's over, those assumptions are yesterday, the party can no longer assume that its base is utterly in
line with the thinking of the American people. And when I said, "It's over!" -- and I said it more than once -- that is what I was referring
to. I am pretty certain that is exactly what Todd and Murphy understood I was referring to. In the truncated version of the conversation, on the Web, it
appears I am saying the McCain campaign is over. I did not say it, and do not think it. In fact, at an on-the-record press symposium on the campaign on
Monday, when all of those on the panel were pressed to predict who would win, I said that I didn't know, but that we just might find "This IS a
country for old men." That is, McCain may well win. I do not think the campaign is over, I do not think this is settled, and did not suggest, back to
the Todd-Murphy conversation, that "It's over."
Hey by the way...Palin's speech watched by 40+ million on 6 commercial networks. McCain 38.9 million on 6 commercial networks. Obama 38.4
million on 10 commercial networks. When you add in PBS which is less precise they tied at 42.4 million. The Dem convention averaged 30.5 million views while
the Republicans averaged 34.5 million, again on less networks.

Republican Convention most watched convention in history.

I guess people are engaged in this election and do care who is elected and what they stand for. The chosen one is not going to waltz into the oval office like
so many people think. This is far from over. Gallup has it a 2 point race. Rasmussen a 1 point race. CBS/NYT a tie.

Should be interesting. I still feel that McCain is going to win comfortably, maybe not be 8-10 like I originally thought but maybe 6 points.
Last edited by crazywater on 07 Sep 2008, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

EJ/BT '76

Elton John News Blog